6.27.2009

Review: Betraying Season (Leland Sisters, Book 2)

By Marissa Doyle

Summary*: Penelope (Pen) Leland has come to Ireland to study magic and prove to herself that she is as good a witch as her twin sister, Persy. But when the dashing Niall Keating begins to pay her court, she can’t help being distracted from her studies. Little does Pen know, Niall is acting upon orders from his sorceress mother. And although it starts as a sham, Niall actually falls deeply in love with Pen, and she with him. But even if he halts his mother’s evil plan, will Pen be able to forgive him for trying to seduce her into a plot? And what of Pen’s magic, which seems to be increasingly powerful?

Review: I adored the first book in this series, Bewitching Season, for its fairy-tale like magic and romance. The second book was wonderful as well (not quite as good as the first I personally thought, though I'm sure some of you will disagree). There was a bit more sexuality in Betraying Season, which turned me off a little even though they don't end up sleeping together (yes, I'm one of those that goes for the clean, good stories).
I absolutely must applaud Doyle for her research, however. Check out her blog. She knows so much about the time period she's writing in, which is the mark of a very good writer, and what will make a very successful writer.
The characters were absolutely and completely believable, as far as fantasy books can make them. Pen was sweet and likable, but also witty and clever. Niall could be weak at times, but was suave and fun.
But the circumstances of the "love" between the two seemed a little unrealistic, regarding Pen's ability and Niall's family. Definitely possible in real life, but really? Two completely gorgeous people happen to have important magical similarities and happen to fall in love on the spot and neither happens to be spoilt rotten? It's possible, but just that.
The ending was fairly predictable, and I like a good twist, so that was a bit of a let-down, though there were a couple of neat twists within the plot.
Because of that, I feel like I must give Betraying Season 3 stars, even though it was a spectacularly fun read. I recommend it if you're looking for something light, romantic, and fantasy.

3 Stars
PG for brief sexuality and some language
336 Pages
TBR September 29, 2009

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review. I can't wait for this to be released since I adored Bewitching Season, though I'm sorry to see you didn't enjoy this one as much (my fingers are crossed though). Also, thanks for including the link to Marissa Doyle's other site! I had a blast reading through the entries.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment about anything!

Hit Counters