1.27.2009

Review: Bewitching Season, Marissa Doyle


Persephone Leland doesn't feel comfortable about her "coming out" into society, quite the opposite of that which her charming twin, Penelope Leland, is feeling. In fact, the Honorable Misses Leland haven't ever had much in common. Their one similarity is quite uncommon: Magic.
But with the unexplained disappearance of their beloved governess, the sisters grow slack in the secrecy of their talent. It doesn't help that Persephone's childhood crush has returned, dashing as ever and much more mature than when they were thirteen. His arrival and the unveiling of a plot to control the Princess Victoria set off a spiral of events that weaves love, magic, loyalty, and scandal.

Set in 1837, London, Bewitching Season by Marissa Doyle turned out to be far better than I expected. Yes, I judged it by the cover (which is... nice, but looks rather like a Luxe rip-off). However, Doyle's pleasant writing made me feel as if I, too, were a Leland sister from the beginning (well, at least, once I got the names straight). But make no mistake, it's not all poppies and pleasantries! Bewitching Season held me until the end. I honestly couldn't put it down. I suffered with Persephone until everything was settled (it's got a nice little twist I must say!)
Bewitching Season should be much more popular than it is! You'll find it delightful if you enjoyed The Luxe books :)
A sequel will be released in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment about anything!

Hit Counters