7.23.2009

Not-Review: Sleepaway Girls

by Jen Calonita

Summary (taken from amazon): When Sam's best friend gets her first boyfriend, she's not ready to spend the summer listening to the two of them call each other "pookie." Sick of being a third wheel, Sam applies to be a counselor-in-training at Whispering Pines camp in the New York Catskills. But what she doesn't realize is that it's not going to be all Kumbaya sing-alongs and gooey s'mores. If Ashley, the alpha queen of Whispering Pines, doesn't ruin Sam's summer, then her raging crush on the surfer-blond and flirtatious Hunter just might. At least she has playful Cole, who's always teasing her, but is oh-so-comfortable to hang out with, and the singular gang of girls that become fast friends with Sam-they call themselves the Sleepaway Girls.

Review: Confession: I didn't finish it.
That's right, I didn't finish this book.
I got to about page 60 and couldn't suffer any longer.
My brain was hurting.
I'll tell you what I think, but I'm not going to grade this book, because I didn't feel it and I don't think I should grade something that I did not finish. So here we go:
The writing seemed very "teen"-ish. I can't really explain it in any other way than that... it just wasn't mature. I suppose I don't really read summer chick flicks, like, ever, so this may have just been "culture shock" for me. I can't really say whether you'll like this book if you like chick flicks, because I really have no idea.
All I know is that Sleepaway Girls wasn't for me. The antagonist was cheesy, thel ending was very predictable (from what I read at least... I haven't read the ending, so I may be wrong), the protagonist was somewhat shallow.
In all, maybe you'll like it. Maybe you'll hate it.
I go for the latter.

But kudos to the cover, which I still think is adorable.

Question: if I had a giveaway for this book, would anyone be interested in entering?

4 comments:

  1. I'd definitely be interested in entering! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'd be interested in entering... I read the beginning of this book on Amazon and didn't really like it. Which is sad because I loved some of Jen Calonita's other books. But I'd still like to read the whole book if I got the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way. I kind of hated it :)
    It's nice to see that I'm not the only one..
    -amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. great; I'll see what I can do about a giveaway.. I feel bad because I was given this book to review, but I really can't finish it. So I'll feel better if someone else reads and reviews it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment about anything!

Hit Counters